Tuesday, January 6, 2009

Five Basic Criteria for Making a Good Video

Whenever you're starting a new endeavor, it's helpful to know what you're aiming to achieve. What are the basics?  Here is a short video which presents the five basic criteria of producing a good movie or video.


1.  Steady camera
2.  Sharp focus
3.  Good exposure
4.  Correct color balance
5.  Capture the moments worth capturing

QUICKTIME 

WINDOWS MEDIA


It doesn't matter whether you are using the most expensive broadcast-quality high-definition video camera with every bell and whistle or a humble video camera in your cell phone.  The basic criteria are the same.  The only way to get better is to practice.  During the wedding season, I go out 2 or 3 times mid-week to keep my skills up so that on the wedding day, all these skills are in top working order.  In the next several blog posts, we'll explore each of these criteria.  

The first criterion is Steady Camera. It may look artistic, cool and hip to have a shaky image. It's your choice whether you want that to be part of your aesthetic style.  But here's my thought. Shaky camerawork accompanied by the words "I'm an artiste" is often an excuse for poor camerawork. In that case, it isn't a conscious choice, it's an afterthought.  The point is...be skilled enough to hold it steady or shake-shake-shake, then choose the style that suits the mood and situation.  Then consider the audience.  Does this enhance their enjoyment or detract?  And, if the techniques draw attention away from what you are trying to watch, it is a poor choice of a technique.

I try to make these practice outings fun for myself.  I'll take a half hour to an hour and go to a dog park, an outdoor history museum, an orchard, or a California mission.  Sometimes I'm just challenging myself to hold the camera steady for 10 seconds (is it better if I breathe out slowly or if I hold my breath?).  Sometimes I'll walk with the camera.  How much shake is there? When is it acceptable shake - when I'm walking with people who are also walking so you don't notice so much?  How can I lessen the shake?

Someone can tell you how to do it.  Or you can read a manual.  But this is one of those things where you just have to go out and do it.  Why?  Because with different body shapes, different people will hold a camera differently.  Some people tuck the camera in tight to their shoulder, others like to hold the camera a little further out.  Only by practice do you learn what works for you.  

So, go out and enjoy the day and see if you can steady your hand just a bit.  Here are some tips:

TIP 1:  Lean against a wall for a steadier shot.
TIP 2:  Notice how hard it is to hold the camera steady when you are zoomed in vs when you have a wide shot.  What is realistic for you to get a steady shot?
TIP 3:  Note how steady you think you are when you are in the midst of shooting.  Then, notice how much shake there really is when you play it back.

No comments:

Post a Comment